News & Events
- Iron Duke Journal – WW1 Centenary Special Edition 05/11/2019 A Special WW1 Supplement Edition of the Iron Duke has been published, for online distribution only, by Tim Nicholson. Below is Tims introduction to the Journal, which is available for free download here:- The Iron Duke, The Great War, Centenary Articles. NB: All editions of the Iron Duke from No.1 (May 1925) to No.285 (Autumn 2018) have ... Read more...
- Dukes Memorial Books 13/05/2019 The following message is from Terry Butterworth at Holidays for Heroes. Hello all Ex ‘Dukes’ The books I, Richard Harvey and Scott Flaving have compiled, commemorating the Memorial and the ‘Dukes’ close relationship with Halifax arrived today. They consist of some real leather bound books in a presentation box for Town Hall’s and the Regimental Museum, etc, ... Read more...
- Holocaust Memorial Day – Colonel Nick Borwell 15/01/2020 To All members. Colonel Nick Borwell will be giving a short talk, in Halifax Minster, as part of Holocaust Memorial Day, on the part 1DWR played in protecting the Bosnians of Gorazde from the Serbian Army during the Yugoslavian Civil War of 1994. Essentially they prevented a similar massacre/ ethnic cleansing of the Bosnians by Ratko ... Read more...
- Barnsley – Armed Forces Commemorative Walkway 27/11/2019 Barnsley Council unveiled a Commemorative Armed Forces Walkway, on Westgate, by the Barnsley 6th Form College, at the rear of the Town Hall, at 12:30hrs on Wednesday 27th Nov 2019. The walkway initially has 12 black granite flagstones, with the Badges of Regiments associated with Barnsley carved into them. One of which has the association logo ... Read more...
- ‘Dukes’ Reunion 2020 – At the Barum Top, Halifax 03/11/2019 The next Wetherspoons Reunion event is hoped to be on Saturday the 4th of April, 2020. Read more...
- Halifax Boer War Memorial – Rededication, 7th November, 2019 03/11/2019 As many will be aware the Soldiers War Memorial, in West View Park was vandalised several years back. The Memorial, unveiled in 1904 and usually called the Boer War Memorial, was built to commemorate 73 soldiers from the Parish who lost their lives during the Boer Wars of 1880-1 and 1899-1902; plus two more from ... Read more...